Peter Kiplangat Kigen, the man who regained consciousness while in a mortuary in Kapkatet Hospital, Kericho County shared details after a three-hour ordeal in a mortuary.
Kigen, who was speaking from his hospital bed told journalists on Wednesday, November 25, that he was shocked to find that he had been pronounced dead.
“I’m still in shock. How did the doctors establish that I was dead,” he questioned.
Kigen was, however, happy to be alive saying that he would pursue church ministry once he was completely healed.
“When I regained consciousness, I did not know where I was. I thank God because he spared my life and I will live to serve him,” he stated.
Kigen’s younger brother Kevin Kipkirui explained that Kigen had been rushed to the hospital by the family after he collapsed at his home on Tuesday morning, November 24.
Upon arrival at the facility, a medic is said to have pronounced him dead on arrival.
“When we arrived at the casualty department, we met a doctor who asked us to register the details of the patient at the reception while he attended to him,” Kipkirui stated.
“When I went back to the casualty department at around 7.45 pm, I learned my brother was dead. A nurse told me that he died long before we arrived at the hospital,” he added.
The hospital’s medical superintendent Gilbert Cheruiyot gave a different account of the decision that led to Kigen’s transfer to the mortuary.
He alleged that the Kigen’s relatives did not wait for a go-ahead to take him to the mortuary from a physician.
“His relatives presumed he was dead and did not even wait for certification of death. They moved him to the mortuary on their own. At the time Kigen and his family came to the hospital, clinical officers were busy attending to other critically ill patients,” Cheruiyot stated.
Morticians are said to have kicked off the process of preparing the body for preservation by making an incision on his right leg to infuse formalin.
The man is said to have screamed in reaction to the pain of the incision forcing the people who were around to scamper for safety.